From a counselor’s reference point, there may be two problems:
A) The couselee who wants to have an abortion
B)The giult feelings of a couselee who has an abortion.
The Bible states, “You shall not murder” (NKJV). Since the Bible also states children are God’s heritage and are His reward (Psalms. 127:3). It is wrong to take the life of an unborn child. That is Gods prerogative.
Deuteronomy 5:17 (NKJV)
“You shall not murder
Psalms 127:3’ (NKJV)
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward
Psalm 113:9 (NKJV)
“He grants the barren woman a home, like a joyful mother of children. Praise the Lord!
The counselee may be experiencing shame because of an illegitimate pregnancy or have no desire to have the added burden this child would mean. The counselee may have already had the abortion and now has guilt about it.
A) If illegitimate or a baby is not wanted for another reason: the story of King David’s adultery with Bathsheba might be related. The sin of adultery was compounded by the sin of murder. This is the case for one who is illicitly pregnant and desires an abortion. Point out God is in charge and there are no hopeless situations with Him. Have the baby. God will redeem the situation. Use Joseph’s classic remark to his brother’s (Gen 45:7) “And God sent me before you to preserve a posterity for you in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance.” Joseph’s brothers meant to kill him but God preserved him and used the sequence of events to preserve an entire people.
B)If abortion is over: Minister God’s forgiveness, upon repentance, and point out that St. Paul consented to the murder of Stephen and yet after his conversation became the apostle to the gentiles. Remember that not only was Paul a murderer, but so was Moses and King David. Yet God forgave them and they became the greatest of God’s men ever known. Expect guilt to be present. Minister to that. Minister Salvation and Baptism with the Holy Spirit as needed. Finally encourage the counselee to talk to her minister, or refer her to a pastor, and refer her to an unwed mothers group if available and needed. But do not give medical advice. That is for a doctor to do.
Pray for God’s grace and courage to face all that must be faced. Praise and thank God that we are not dealt with according to our transgressions. Thank Him for accepting and forgiving the person and for grace to forgive herself, as such need is indicated in your discernment.
Read the story of Joseph and of King David in 2 Sameul 11 and 12. Read “help for your prayer life”
- Psalms 127: 3 for pre abortion counselee
“Behold children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.” (NKJV)
- Psalms 139: 13- 16 God knows a person from conception
“For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother’s womb.”(NKJV)
- Proverbs 31 ideal woman and mother. (NKJV)
“1.The words of King Lemuel, the utterance which his mother taught him:
- What, my son?
And what, son of my womb?
And what, son of my vows?
- Do not give your strength to women,
Nor your ways to that which destroys kings.
- It is not for kings, O Lemuel,
It is not for kings to drink wine,
Nor for princes intoxicating drink;
- Lest they drink and forget the law,
And pervert the justice of all the afflicted.
- Give strong drink to him who is perishing,
And wine to those who are bitter of heart.
- Let him drink and forget his poverty,
And remember his misery no more.
- Open your mouth for the speechless,
In the cause of all who are appointed to die.
- Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And plead the cause of the poor and needy.
The Virtuous Wife
- Who can find a virtuous wife?
For her worth is far above rubies.
- The heart of her husband safely trusts her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
- She does him good and not evil
All the days of her life.
- She seeks wool and flax,
And willingly works with her hands.
- She is like the merchant ships,
She brings her food from afar.
- She also rises while it is yet night,
And provides food for her household,
And a portion for her maidservants.
- She considers a field and buys it;
From her profits she plants a vineyard.
- She girds herself with strength,
And strengthens her arms.
- She perceives that her merchandise is good,
And her lamp does not go out by night.
- She stretches out her hands to the distaff,
And her hand holds the spindle.
- She extends her hand to the poor,
Yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.
- She is not afraid of snow for her household,
For all her household is clothed with scarlet.
- She makes tapestry for herself;
Her clothing is fine linen and purple.
- Her husband is known in the gates,
When he sits among the elders of the land.
- She makes linen garments and sells them,
And supplies sashes for the merchants.
- Strength and honor are her clothing;
She shall rejoice in time to come.
- She opens her mouth with wisdom,
And on her tongue is the law of kindness.
- She watches over the ways of her household,
And does not eat the bread of idleness.
- Her children rise up and call her blessed;
Her husband also, and he praises her:
- “Many daughters have done well,
But you excel them all.”
- Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing,
But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised.
- Give her of the fruit of her hands,
And let her own works praise her in the gates.
- Matthew 6:33 seek God first (NKJV)
“But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
- 3 John. 2 you will prosper as your soul does spiritually.(NKJV)
“Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.”
- Romans 8:31 whom God is for, who can be against? (NKJV)
“What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?”
- Philippians 3:13-14 , 4:13 forget the past(NKJV)
“Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
- Isaiah 40:31 promised strength to carry on(NKJV)
“But those who wait on the Lord Shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.”
- 2 Corinthians 5:17-18 (NKJV)
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.”